Tuesday 9 October 2012

So why can't people accept mental illness for what it is?

It's World Mental Health Day today. So I thought I'll post something.

I remember stumbling upon an article about Why don’t people accept that mental illness is just as real and devastating as physical illness? and it got me thinking, why?  I once tried to open up to a friend of mine whom I thought would understand and accept me for what I am. I spilled all the dirty things that I’ve kept hidden for so long and admitted to the succumbing to my darkest thoughts at my frailest moments and it was a big mistake. She didn’t understand. Apparently, I was too caught up in my own dark world that I’ve became “who I thought I was”. I needed to start thinking positively and chuck the meds as soon as I felt better. Needless to say, I clammed up straight away and disappeared from the radar.

So why is it so hard for people to understand that we can’t exactly control our actions or how we’re feeling?

I guess it's because mental illness is just so intangible that it is very hard to believe how devastating it can be unless one has experienced it. Its not something you can see like a gaping wound, you’re not bleeding from every orifice of your body, it can be easily faked or misdiagnosed and there is no scientific way to proof that your brain is really ill. Given such reasons, it is hardly a surprise that people wouldn’t readily embrace the idea that your brain is really… well, malfunctioning. And if you happen to be one of the “unlucky” ones who are holding a high paying job and/or have managed for years without going psychotic in public, then too bad, they are probably going to give you the “everyone has their own demons, deal with it” talk. The darkness will go away, just think happy and try harder. But is it really that simple?

But I'm glad to point out that the Singapore Health Promotion Board is starting to do something to educate the public about this. While it's main purpose is to get people to identify the illness and get treatment early, I think the facts they are trying to put across are very informational. Click here to read more about HPB's article. These might be baby steps but I think it's a good start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment