Tuesday 16 October 2012

Keeping Routines

Routines, some people frown at the word like it is poison and take pride in having a very exciting, unpredictable life. For people with bipolar disorder, maybe shunning the poor fella is not the way to go. After reading several articles, it seems that "bipolar disorder is influenced by the body's circadian system", that is our internal clock or specifically for this post, our sleep-wake clock. So reducing the irregularities in our internal clock can potentially reduce triggering the symptoms of bipolar disorder and maintaining a regular sleep routine can help decrease the risk of having new episodes. Simple. And it works. Well, for me.

 My disorder has been in remission for two years now and I've made it a point to sleep at 10pm every night and to wake up at 7am every morning (during the days when I have work). When I lost 2 days worth of sleep due to a course that I was taking, that pesky voice in my head and fleeting shadows and lights came back and my anxiety level went right through the roof. I started feeling cycles of depression and elation through what was possibly a thick piece of mental glass. Like the episodes were diluted or muted. I guess the medication really did its job and I'm thankful for that but I wouldn't know what to do if I had felt everything in full intensity.

So I've learnt my lesson and am now trying to get the rhythm back, it's not easy but I'm hell bent on getting my life back on course. Sleep is really important to us and routine even more so. If you don't have a sleep routine at the moment, you can try starting one now. What's the harm? You can even add in an exercise or eating routine if you're up to it. To learn more about how a sleeping routine can help manage your disorder, you can try reading the following articles:


Googling will uncover more articles but if you're lazy well, you'll have to make do.

No comments:

Post a Comment